Below are a selection of grants that are available to support families covering a range of needs.

Click on the name of the grant to expand for more information.

Family time - Young father using a laptop computer for work at home while looking after his son


Family Fund help families with grants across Wales. This means that thousands of essential items were awarded to families, including family breaks, kitchen appliances, clothing, bedding, and much more.

CarersUK Grants are the UK’s only national membership charity for carers; Carers UK is both a supportive community and a movement for change. For the past 50 years, they have been driven by carers raising their voices together to call for change and seek recognition and support. They help each other by sharing experiences and offering support. Guided by a Board of Trustees that is primarily made up of carers, they are rooted in the real experiences of their members and they are here to make life better for carers.

Carers Trust-Grants work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone living with the challenges of caring, unpaid, for a family member or friend who is ill, frail, disabled or has mental health or addiction problems. They do this with a UK wide network of quality assured independent partners and through the provision of grants to help carers get the extra help they need to live their own lives.

With locally based Network Partners, they are able to support carers in their homes through the provision of replacement care, and in the community with information, advice, emotional support, hands on practical help and access to much needed breaks. They offer specialist services for carers of people of all ages and conditions and a range of individually tailored support and group activities.


Autism Aware UK operate to increase awareness of autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) and to support families through online support. It also purchases specialist equipment for schools and groups to help educate and support people with Autism. The charity has previously funded purpose built playgrounds for a school. Schools, groups and organisation requiring assistance with funding equipment that benefits people with ASD should contact the charity direct.

The Fred Foundation was set up to help fund education programmes for children with autism. Their vision is to allow children with autism to reach their potential through individualised, specialised programmes that match their needs. The Fred Foundation helps fund education programmes for children with Autism. The Foundation is a small charity and is only able to help a limited number of children.  It has recently funded ABA (Applied Behaviour Analysis) programmes. The website is currently inactive.  For further information email:

The John and Lorna Wing Foundation are a charitable foundation exists to fund research into all aspects of Autism and ensure the results are published. They were established in her lifetime by Dr Lorna Wing to continue her work in autism. The Foundation support research into all aspects of autism but particularly areas that are thought to hold particular benefit for autistic people and their families. They can support scholarships at universities, travel for study purposes or maintenance grants in support of specific areas of study. They are also interested in sponsoring projects which involve autistic individuals’ participation in carrying out research. All research undertaken must be of a high scientific and ethical quality and demonstrate impact.

Music for Autism create interactive concerts for individuals with Autism and their families. The concerts are performed by professional musicians and are fully subsidised for everyone to ensure equal access.

A programme of concerts can be found on the website at a number of locations around the UK. It also supports special units and schools for children with Autism.


Birkdale Trust provides grants to children with a hearing impairment and organisations supporting deaf children. It will provide funding towards projects such as equipment for the hearing impaired, specialist tuition, professional advice and support for appeals. To apply download an application form from the website.

The National Deaf Children’s Society offer deaf children and their families a “Technology Test Drive”. This is an opportunity to borrow radio aids and other specialist equipment to assess in their own home. This enables families to gain evidence about the benefits of any equipment to help them to obtain the equipment long term from the local authority or social services. The NDCS are currently able to offer the following:

  • Alerting devices
  • Communication technology
  • Listening aids for TV and MP3 Players
  • Radio aids
  • Computer software

To borrow the equipment telephone the free helpline: 0808 800 8880 or email:

The Sequal Trust provide help to severely disabled people who rely on electronic communication aids (AAC) and specialist computer access equipment. To apply for assistance families/individuals need to become a member of The Trust by completing an on-line application form.

An Assessment form will be sent for families’ healthcare professional to complete.

Blind Children UK have merged with Guide Dogs.  Guide Dogs continue to offer services for blind and visually impaired children and young people through Its CYP Service. Guide Dogs offers grants to blind and visually impaired children and young people under 18 years towards assistive or adapted technology and sensory items. It will only fund items not available from statutory services.  The applicant must be in pre-school, full or part time education or home schooled.

Guide Dogs have also continued to operate the excellent Custom Eyes scheme to enable children with a visual impairment buy large print books at retail prices.  This fast and efficient service is highly recommended.  Available to children and young people aged 25 years and under.

Victa provide funding for visually impaired children and young people (up to 29 years) for assistive technology. It has the following age restrictions:

  • iPads only for children over 11 years
  • Computers/software for children over 8 years
  • Braille note takers for children over 11 years

To apply: download an application form or complete the online grant application form. A statement from a supporter such as a qualified professional is required on the application form.

Victa also works in partnership the RNIB (for the Apple iPad Air 2 and Orbit Reader 20 only) to support independent study using technology. It is open to individuals who are registered blind or partially sighted and a UK resident. For the Apple iPad Air 2 (32 GB) the age criteria is 11-25 years.  For an Orbit Reader 20 for Braille users the age criteria is 8-29 years.  It is possible to apply for both provided you satisfy the age criteria.

Newlife is the largest provider of specialist equipment to help children/young people who are disabled or terminally ill under 19 years who live in the UK. It offers professional support to families and practical support through the provision of specialist equipment. Newlife Nurses are the key contact point for families and gateway for services.  They can discuss your child’s needs on their free confidential Nurse Helpline: 0800 902 0095.  There is also Live Chat on the website. Newlife provides grants for essential equipment such as beds, wheelchairs and communication aids.

It also offers:

  • Play Therapy Pod Service – providing specialist toys on loan
  • Emergency Bed Loan Service – providing specialist beds within 72 hours
  • Comfort Capsule Service – providing equipment to improve the quality for a child with a terminal illness
  • Emergency Equipment Loans – providing equipment within 72 hours to children with life limiting or/and palliative needs to enable them to be discharged from hospital.

Caudwell Children provide family support services, equipment, treatment and therapies for disabled children and their families across the UK. The organisation has seven core services:

Family Support – practical and emotional support in their home and in hospital during difficult times. Short break activities for fun and leisure.

Equipment Services – It helps with the purchase of mobility equipment and sensory equipment. Including wheelchairs, mobility buggies, therapy tricycles and specialised car seats

Treatment Services – providing access to treatments not available in the UK including Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR) surgery and specialist cancer treating not available in the UK.

Therapy – provides access to Conductive Education through its STEP programme.

ENABLE Sport – providing specialist sports equipment to enable talented children to participate in competitive sport.

Destination Dreams – Fully supported group holiday to Florida for terminally ill children and their families (whole family is funded).

Caudwell Children also has a new £18 million autism centre in Staffordshire – The Caudwell International Children’s Centre (CICC).  It includes assessment suites, a sensory garden, family training suites and training kitchen to encourage a healthy diet.

Children Today helps disabled children and young people up to the age of 25.

It provides grants for specialist equipment and the applicant, their parents or guardian must make aids such as communication aids, educational toys, and trikes, lifting equipment and electric wheelchairs Applications direct by calling 01244 335622 to discuss their application. A reference from someone who works with your child in a professional capacity (occupational therapist, teacher, social worker, doctor, etc) will be required.

The Children’s Hope Foundation aim to improve the lives of children and young people affected by illness, disability or poverty.

It provides funding for anything (with a few exceptions) that will benefit the child such as medical equipment, computers, holidays and days out.

To apply: download the online application form from their website. Financial details are required.

The charity also has a caravan holiday home in East Sussex for children (and their families) between the ages of 3-17 who ‘have special needs’. The caravan is not adapted but does have a ramp for disabled access. It will accept direct applications as well as applications from appropriate professionals. To apply: download the online holiday application form.

Variety aim to improve the lives of children and young people throughout the UK who are sick, disabled or disadvantaged.

Variety provides coaches and bespoke wheelchairs, specialist, sensory and recreational equipment for use in the home, school, children’s hospitals and youth centres and creates memorable experiences through Variety Great Days Out.

The Buttle Trust help Children under 21 who are either: i) looked after by adoptive parents ii) cared for by family members or friends (but not who are supported by 2 caring parents living in the same home) iii) living with single parents.

Their core business in Wales continues to be the provision of their Chances for Children Grants. These provide funding for items such as beds and white goods in addition to afterschool educational, arts, and therapeutic activities that have a positive impact on children and young people’s lives.

As well as kinship care families and children from families who have fled domestic abuse, these also include enhanced packages of financial support for young people who are estranged from their families, but are motivated to remain in training, education or to seek employment.

Follow your Dreams help young people with Learning Difficulties reach their full potential.

Friends, families, teachers or anyone else supporting can nominate a young person with learning difficulties who wants to explore or develop their potential through sport, music, art, drama or ICT.To have their dream come true complete the on-line Nomination form.


Aspire provides practical help to people who have been paralysed by Spinal Cord Injury. Grants are offered for specialist equipment that are not available from statutory services such as lightweight wheelchairs, powered chairs, electronic page-turners and assistive technology equipment. Applications for medical equipment will require support from an appropriate health professional. To apply: download the application form and guidelines from the Aspire website.

A-T Society can offer financial help to people with A-T through our Support Grants System. They can help with computer, wheelchair, bathroom equipment, specialist furniture, hoist, holiday, respite care, trike, scooter, deposit for motability car, transport cost, stair-lift. For further advice and Information please contact the ‘Support Team’ Kay Atkins (Family Support Manager) or Anne Murray (Family Support Co-ordinator) on 01582 760733.

The Ben Hardwick Fund support children with primary liver disease. It is able to help with small grant towards the costs associated with the illness such as travel to hospital. To apply: by letter to Mrs Anne Auber, 12 Nassau Road, London SW13 9QE Applications are to be made by an appropriate professional or call them on 02087418499.

For decades, Kidney Care UK (previously the British Kidney Patient Association) has been making grants to improve life for people with kidney failure. Now, alongside its grants and policy work, it has a telephone counselling service up and running, and an advocacy service, which stretches across the UK, offering advice and help for the challenges of living with kidney failure.

The Brittle Bone society supports individuals and their families affected by Osteogenesis Imperfecta throughout the UK and Ireland.

It offers advice, information and resources as well as support grants. The charity is able to part fund manual and powered wheelchairs, trikes, buggies and other types of equipment.  It occasionally helps fund holidays and respite care. To apply: download an application form.

The Cystic Fibrosis Trust provides financial support to children and adults with Cystic Fibrosis.

Edward W Joseph Cystic Fibrosis Home Care Programme– to allow people with Cystic Fibrosis to be at home safely with appropriate care through one off grants of £500.

Emergency Grants – £150 grants to help people of any age with Cystic Fibrosis with an immediate need. This includes the replacement of white goods and emergency household repairs.

Transplant Grants– of £250 to help with the costs associated with attending a transplant assessment and having a transplant.

Health and Wellbeing Grants– of up to £350 to fund goods and services to improve health and wellbeing of someone with Cystic Fibrosis.

Holiday and Break Grants– of up to £300 to fund holidays, breaks, trips or days out for those who are unable to afford a break.

Home Care Grants– up to £500 for times of acute illness or personal crisis.

Prescription Pre-Payment Certificate Grants– one off grants to fund the cost of a pre-payment certificate of prescriptions.

Funeral Grants– of £750 to help towards funeral costs.

Applications for these grants can be downloaded from the website. Support will be required from a suitable professional. The Trust also administers The Joseph Levy Education Fund – to help young adults over 18 years develop their careers in further and higher education. It may help towards tuition fees, living expenses, examination fees or other costs that help the young person with their career. Applications are assessed twice a year.

The CFHF provides financial assistance for children under 18 years with Cystic Fibrosis and their families. It has two grant programmes:

Respite Break Grants – a grant of £350 towards a day trip, excursion, holiday or break.  Applications are considered 4 times a year.

Family Revitalise – provides funded holidays to families in exceptional circumstances.

The Haemophilia Society run a range of children’s activity weekends for affected children and their siblings.

It has also secured use of a caravan owned by the North Norfolk Caravan Trust for individuals with bleeding disorders.

The caravan is offered for use at a discount – £80 a week and £10 for Linen.  To book contact Daphne on 01328 711122 or Mary on 01328 710901. A local group in Northern Ireland also have a caravan on the Antrim coast for use by anyone in the UK affected by a bleeding disorder.

The Muscular Dystrophy UK provides grants for both children and adults with muscle disease through the Joseph Patrick Trust (JPT).

It is able to part fund equipment such as manual and electric wheelchairs, trikes, assistive technology, therapy equipment and electric beds. To apply use the online form.


ALD Life charity support group for individuals and their families with Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD) and Adrenomyeloneuropathy (AMN).

It offers financial support for specialist equipment, full time care and regular treatments. It also provides practical support, advice and information on the condition.

Ataxia supports anyone with Ataxia through a range of services. They manage and facilitate a number of grants schemes:

  • Mark Dower Trust:The Mark Dower Trust offers a small annual grant of up to £3,000. The aim is to support young people by enabling them to pursue skills, hobbies or further educational opportunities and hence allow them to maximise their independence.
  • The Headley Trust:Ataxia refers to the Headley Trust individuals over 16 years with Ataxia requiring support for mobility equipment, computer adaptations, communication aids, stairlifts and car adaptations.
  • The Florence Nightingale Aid in Sickness Trust: The Trust provides funding towards medical equipment for children and adults of all ages affected by a disability or long-term illness.  This includes medical aids, specialist beds and mobility equipment.  Apply initially through Ataxia who will refer to the Trust.

The BDFA supports families affected by Batten Disease by giving support and funding research.

In addition to family support through the Batten Disease journey it is able to provide small grants to families of children and young people living or have lived with Batten Disease. For further details contact:

The Daisy Garland helps improve the lives of children up to 12 years with Epilepsy.

It is able to provide grants for night-time breathing monitors (SAT’s/Epilepsy monitors) for use in the home. The charity is also able to help with various small one off grants.

For a Better Life with Epilepsy (FABLE) offer information, advice and support for potential recipients of the VNS, their families and carers. VNS Therapy stands for Vagus Nerve Stimulation Therapy.  This is a surgical procedure to help individuals suffering from severe epilepsy. The charity is able to help fund implants for children and adults. It also provides days out and dreams for those affected with Epilepsy.  This could be the chance to experience something new or a holiday or short break. To apply:  contact the office on 0114 2755335 for a nomination form.

The MND Association provides financial support to anyone living with or affected by Motor Neurone Disease. It is able to fund up to a maximum of £2,000 equipment, care and quality of life interventions, which are either not available or delayed from statutory services. Applications must be made by a health professional, appropriate professional or MND representative. To apply: download an application form. If the application is successful, funding will be allocated quickly within 10 working days. Priority requests can be funded within 5 days.

The Muir Maxwell Trust provides practical support to children with Epilepsy and their families. They are able to help families by providing grants for seizure alarms/epilepsy monitors to parents to enable them to sleep more confidently. For funding and support contact the Trust on 0131 273 5256 or complete their online contact form.


Hospital Saturday Fund Charitable Trust provide funds are available for Individuals who live in the UK and the republic of Ireland who are ill, disabled or receiving medical care. One off grants are made ranging from £25 to £250 towards medical care, medical equipment and appliances and hospital travel. Grants are not made to anything without a medical connection.

If the application is made directly from the individual, a supporting letter from a welfare agency, social worker or other third party is appreciated. A third party can also apply on behalf of the individual. You can contact them through email e-mail

The Heinz & Anna Kroch Foundation support individuals of any age who are suffering from severe poverty and financial hardship, who have ongoing medical problems or have fled domestic situations. Applications must be submitted by a recognised agency who is working with the client.

Type of Grants available for is One-off grants usually ranging from £100 to £250 towards hospital travel costs, household bills, furniture, other hospital expenses, clothing, food, medical and disability equipment, living costs, home adaptations, help in the home and so on. They support people who are older, have a chronic illness, have fled domestic situations, homeless and/or in financial hardship.

Salvation Army Grants being offered are one-off, in the form of specific practical assistance such as for needs in the home.  Subject to availability, the Salvation Army also provides grants for holidays at a local caravan or at their center in Westgate, Kent.  No grants for educational purposes.

Apply in writing to the Divisional Director for Business Administration at the nearest regional office (addresses in phone book or visit the website).  Applications must be supported by a caseworker’s report from a social agency, welfare organisation, hospital or medical practice.  Information about the applicant’s social and financial background must be included. or call (020) 7367 4500

The Atlee Foundation help people who are disabled or disadvantaged, anywhere in the UK. They offer one-off grants up to £100 towards travel costs for therapeutic journeys, e.g. to maintain contact with family members in hospital, or rehabilitation a long way from home in the UK.  No grants for funerals, holidays, wheelchairs or mobility adaptations.

Applications must be made through a social worker, citizen’s advice bureau or other welfare agency, to which the cheque will be payable on behalf of the individual. For further information E-mail

The Talisman Trust offer small grants for education, health, housing, disablement or disability. This charity is run by three trustees and makes donations both to local authorities or charities on behalf of specific individuals and to other UK charities with similar objectives to our own.

Family Action help people access small grants on welfare and education. They have been distributing grants to help people and families in need since they were founded in 1869. Their grants programs complement their aim to strengthen families and communities, build skills and resilience and improve the life chances of everyone they work with.

TURN 2 US are a national charity helping people when times get tough. We provide financial support to help people get back on track. Through their site, you can check benefit entitlement, search for a grant, find information and help including details of their Discretionary Assistance Fund.


The Boparan Charitable Trust helps children and young people under 18 years in the UK who are disadvantaged through poverty, disability or terminal illness. Each application request is judged on its own merits.

The Trust has previously funded wheelchairs, trikes, sensory books, toys and special wishes. Confirmation of the applicant’s condition or circumstance will be asked to confirm by a qualified professional.

The Charlie Cookson Foundation was created by Charlie’s parents after he passed away, to support other families who have a seriously ill child with a life-limiting condition. The Foundation selects one family per month and offers financial support to that family over a three-month period to help them cope with the extra cost of having a sick child under 16 years. This may include help with the mortgage, utility bills, petrol and food. To apply: download an application form from the website. Financial information and a supporting letter from an appropriate professional will be required.

React provide Rapid Effective Assistance for Children with potentially Terminal illness is a dynamic charity working to improve the quality of life for children with life-limiting illnesses living in financially disadvantaged households throughout the UK.

Their work is unrivaled by any other organisation and their passion and belief that every child should have comfort, dignity and the opportunity to participate in life as fully as possible is their driving force

The When You Wish Upon a Star charity fulfils the wishes of children with life threatening and terminal illnesses aged between 2-16 years. For more information and contact for the Wales region e-mail

The Starlight Children’s Foundation grant personal wishes of children who are diagnosed critically, chronically or terminally ill (e.g. leukaemia, HIV/Aids, brain tumours, cystic fibrosis, muscular dystrophy, severe asthma or epilepsy, sickle cell anaemia, most forms of cerebral palsy) aged between 4-18 years. Anyone can refer a child to Starlight by printing off an application form from their website, or contact them to be sent one.

The Make a Wish Foundation grant the wishes of children aged 3 – 18 years suffering from life threatening illnesses as they promote a child’s life should not be about illness, hospitals and diagnosis – it should be about wonder, joy and hope. Anyone who knows a child, aged 3 to 18 with a life-threatening illness can make a referral, simply by writing to Head Office or visiting the website.

Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity provide expert care and support to children with serious illnesses, and their families. They believe every seriously ill child should have access to the best possible healthcare. The charity Helps children and young people aged 25-and-under who have a neurological or haematological condition and are from a low-income family (in receipt of income support, working families tax credit or housing benefit).  The only eligible cancer is brain tumour.  Families not on benefits but on a low income or whose income has been interrupted by the child’s illness may also be considered.

One-off grants of £20 to £500 each towards household appliances, utility bills, clothing, beds and bedding, medical alert jewellery, travel and subsistence payments while children are in hospital, specialised equipment e.g. sensory toys, car seats, wheelchairs, Motability vehicles, vehicle tax and insurance and respite care.  No grants given towards debt (except utility bills) or items that should be provided by statutory sources.

Applications on a form from the Foundation.  A social worker or health care professional who is willing to see the application through to completion supplying and confirming the information contained must submit them.  Applicants need to provide details of income and expenditure if no state benefits are being claimed. E-mail

The Happy Days Children’s Charity work with local communities right across the UK to provide vital respite breaks for individuals, families and groups who support children with additional needs. The young people range in age from 3 to 17 would come from many different backgrounds and cultures and suffer many different conditions. They offer help to those with learning difficulties, physical or mental disabilities and with acute, chronic or life limiting illnesses. They also provide support to young people who have been abused or neglected, witnessed domestic violence, been bereaved or act as carers for a parent or a sibling.


Lennox Children’s Cancer Fund provides practical, financial and emotional assistance to children with cancer and their families. Their care grants can help towards the extra costs of having a sick child such as travel expenses, household items, childcare and specialist equipment. Lennox also provides respite breaks at their two holiday homes – both based in the New Forest. These holidays are free of charge and have not been adapted for wheelchair use. Both the grants and respite breaks are available if your child is under 18 years and diagnosed with Leukaemia or cancer in the last 12 months.

Macmillan, the cancer support charity is able to provide grants to adults, young people and children with cancer and those still affected by the illness or treatment. The grants are one off payments to fund a wide range of needs. This could include heating bills, extra clothing, household items or a much needed break. An average grant is approximately £380. Applications for a grant should be made by a health or social care professional who need to complete the form on behalf of the applicant.

Ski 4 Cancer was set up by a group of keen skiers who had all lost a close friend or relative to cancer.  The aim is to ease the burden of living with a cancer diagnosis or a recent bereavement. It offers respite opportunities for families living with cancer from family days out to longer holidays in the UK.  Ski 4 Cancer also organises alpine based respite days and holidays as one off opportunities. For more information either: Telephone: 01273 597452 or use the online contact form to send an email.

The Youth Cancer Trust provides free fun activity holidays at their centre in Bournemouth for young people aged 14 to 30 years with cancer or other malignant diseases.  It is also available for those in remission or living with the effects of cancer. Applicants may be from anywhere in the UK and the Irish Republic, or who are patients of any UK hospital. The holidays take place in small groups of 8 which can be a friendship group from hospital or alternatively the young person may bring a sibling or friend who will also attend for free. Holidays take place throughout the year and run from Monday to Friday.

Kids Cancer Charity provide help and support to families of children with cancer. It is able to offer a range of services:

  • Family support and befriending
  • Play Therapy – for children to express their feelings through toys instead of words.
  • Holiday Programme – Free breaks in the UK, Florida or Disneyland Paris. The UK settings include 2 caravans, based at two different holiday parks in the Welsh Coast.
  • Bereavement Support
  • Travel Insurance

To apply: contact the appropriate person for the service you require from the list of individuals on the “Contact” page.

Share this site